Monday, August 31, 2009

Press Event Fail

Hey everyone, it's finally here! Oh wait, never mind, it's not.


Just as all the "Summer Nightastic" crowds returned home and all the freeway billboards, banners and park maps featuring the dragon were removed, Disneyland scheduled a special press event for 4:30 am this morning to announce the woefully late arrival of Murphy, the Fantasmic! dragon.

One problem: Murphy never showed up. In fact, the press event was canceled altogether.


OC Register was among the invited guests:

Disney dragon debut canceled, but photos and video released

Disneyland canceled the scheduled debut tonight of the massive dragon that was supposed to be the centerpiece of the revamped water-and-light show.

The dragon has been broken all summer, but it was supposed to be ready for tonight’s performance. However, Disney officials are continuing to fine-tune the dragon.

A preview for a select group of media members was canceled this morning. A sneak peek was scheduled for 4:30 a.m., but Disneyland officials called it off just about an hour earlier.

Instead, they sent us a video of the dragon during one of its rehearsals.


No dragon for you!


Oh, what a tease. Photos and video of the dragon are nice, but it's a bit like giving a starving dog a rubber bone.


With no dragon in sight, that left the invited press guests with nothing to talk about except how hard the dragon continues to fail:

Disneyland unveiled official photos and video of the new Fantasmic dragon but still has yet to set a date for the 40-foot-tall animatronic’s much-anticipated debut.
[...]
Despite top billing, the oft-delayed dragon failed to appear during the Disneyland’s Summer Nightastic promotion — a big black eye for the Anaheim theme park.


Let's state the obvious. It is very, very bad PR to schedule a special event for the press (at a dismally early hour in the morning, no less) and then call it off. It's bad enough that the dragon missed its cue for the entire duration of the summer campaign to which it was meant to be the highlight; this non-event only made matters worse. They are running the risk of losing their captive audience. Press and park guests will eventually stop caring and ignore the Disney who cried dragon.


So the same question remains: When will Murphy debut? Who knows, and who cares.

DisneyFAIL.

7 comments:

  1. We're lucky enough they gave us pictures and video. The thing is having huge technical problems, it's not there fault. Would I like to see it in person? Sure. But I want everything to be right first. Don't be so ungrateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say it's ungrateful. It's not like Disney is giving us anything for free. It is something of a bad show to call a press event then cancel it at the last minute. However, I think this thing is giving them far more trouble than they ever expected and they are probably just as frustrated with it as we are or maybe more so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. suck to be disney right now

    ReplyDelete
  4. This morning was the "non-event" and I still had hopes that it would appear tonight. After work I drove down to Aneheim (from Santa Barbara) with fingers crossed. Had time for a couple of rides before the 8:15 Fantasmic! Got there to a VERY jaded crowd who were wanting it as much as I. When the big moment arrived, I could see through the mist screen that Maleficent was still elevated. I'm gone before the screens dropped. Made a run out to Main Street for a GREAT seat (position wise) for the "Magical.." fireworks. I was located just to the right of the castle with Matterhorn Way directly at my 2:00 position. As the show started, the extra bright lighting post just to the left remained fully ablaze throughout the entire performance. It was as though a couple of hundred of us were in the spotlight...literally. Most of us watched what we could of the fireworks with our left hands firmly planted on our cheek to block the offending light source. It was like daylight (maybe brighter) in our viewing area and nowhere else were any lights on. Only us! I informed a cast member after the show and she said it was probably a glitch. Oddly enough, when the show was over, all of the lights came on while our becon switched off. We were all plenty miffed and when I went to voice my concerns at City Hall, there was another blinded guest in line in front of me! This was almost an hour later! The cast member took my verbal concern and said she would forward my disapproval. 2 1/2 hours back to Santa Barbara with no dragon to speak of...again. Chased this damn thing through 5 different "debut dates" only to come up empty again. Nice video but I have to get back to work. Disney keeps taking my money and produces no dragon. Sorry, Disney, my wallet will be sealed for a few months now. It needs time to heal. Maybe I'll try again come Christmas. That is, if Santa shows for the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I'm surprised that you haven't addressed another collosal Disney FAIL - the "Summer Fun Passes" that were sold with the glittering dragon on the front in grocery stores were also made too thick to fit in the fastpass machines! Seriously, try one out!

    My father and I had to ask the CMs for one of those paper fastpass cards in order to enjoy the rest of the day because of this issue and we were simply told it was the card manufactuer's fault and not Disney. That's right folks the ol pass the buck method.

    Summer Fluketastic was a collosal failure on so many levels and Disney seems unwilling to do anything to rectify the situation for the thousands of people they screwed over with their 45 day use it or lose it "Summer Fun Pass". Didn't use your 3 days up because you waited for Murphy to show up as advertised?

    Too bad, but you can apply for an annual passport! Let's not forget that while running said promotion we also hiked up the price of admission yet again from everything to parking and food service!

    Have a magical day!

    Ugh - my how the mighty have fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha oh God, this dragon drama is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I may be confused with all the negative talk. I am only familiar with Disney World. I can understand dissapointment and even frustration but when you love something you love it even with it's flaws. If you don't love it and feel like it is not worth your money than don't visit the place. I understand Disney is a business but I have never felt like I was not important. I always have a wonderful time. Also everytime I have went I received a great deal directly through Disney so I personally have received so much for my money. Certain changes have taken place over the last several years and I have not liked all of them, but again you take it as a whole. And as a whole I get so much for my money that I am surprised. Try going somewhere for 7 days with 4 people with hotel, entertainment, and dining included from $1500-$2000 depending on the deal. Sorry for the Disney commercial, but I just don't understand all the research and time dedication to something not liked.

    ReplyDelete